In 1909, K.A. (now working on his own) was offered a permanent space in the F. G. & A. Howald Furniture Co. which had a sterling reputation. Fortunately, he made the right decision and moved his young wife and made Columbus his home. Through hard work and honesty, he was able to establish and build the business.
His two sons, Raymond & Ernest, both worked in the business, helping the store to thrive during the 20’s and survive the 30’s. K.A. passed away suddenly in 1944 and Raymond gave up a career in chemical engineering to take over the business. He guided the company through the 50’s, during which he oversaw the building of the rug washing plant on West Fifth Avenue in 1951 and then the relocation of the retail operation adjacent to the plant in 1957. Ray’s son Walter joined the firm in 1958 and Philip came on board in 1971.
Phil and Cathy Menendian carried on the tradition of selling fine Oriental Rugs through 2009, when they retired and sold the business to the Martin family.
The Martins bring their own history of rug sales and service, which began in 1890 and continued with the purchase of the K.A. Menendian cleaning department in 2007. With their purchase of the entire business, as well as the retention of the current sales and support staff, including sales manager Megan Hirsch, the Martin Family begins what will certainly be another long tradition of quality service and sales.